As a Private Seller, you will need to provide us with a Proof of Ownership, if you advertise cars, real estate, motorcycles, or yachts. The document(s) should clearly state that you are the owner of the item. Proof of ownership is how you claim the rights to a certain property or item.

Some examples of acceptable documents:

  • A warranty deed is one type of proof of ownership; it shows the name of the owner and gives a brief description of the property.
  • A bill of sale is another document that can serve as proof of ownership; it comes from the previous owner and shows the transfer of ownership.
  • The title to your vehicle provides proof of ownership, and you need it for a handful of situations, such as selling your car.

For Lifestyle and Collectible items, jewelry, and watches you will need to provide a Certificate of Authenticity (COA). Commonly a seal on paper authenticating a specific artwork, it demonstrates that the item is authentic. Artworks or posters come with a certificate of authenticity signed and sealed by a reputable appraiser or auction house. Another means of certifying authenticity is to obtain a reference from a respected organization, such as Sotheby’s or Christie's Auction. The COA should provide the characteristics of the artwork and also state the qualifications and full contact information of the individual or entity that authored the certificate with his or her complete and current contact information.

We also will need a copy of your personal ID (e.g., passport or driving license). We do not need to see the original. A scanned copy of the document sent via email will be sufficient.

Note! If you are advertising on behalf of someone else, we also will need a confirmation email from the owner stating that you have permission to list their items. Owners can send confirmation emails to our Customer team; they should attach a copy of their ID in addition to the documents mentioned above.

Please take into consideration that JamesEdition does not appraise your items and cannot grant you Proof of Ownership or a Certificate of Authenticity. If you need a Certificate of Authenticity, please contact a reputable agency dedicated to such matters. Unfortunately, we cannot advise you as to which agency is best for proving the authenticity of your property, as we do not partner with any agencies. You can, however, always complete an internet search for agencies with expertise related to your items.

Did this answer your question?